At this time of the year you might be overwhelmed with courgettes / zucchini. I swear that they grow whilst you look at them. Or you might also like the idea of sneaking some vegetables past those reluctant veggie eaters in your family. This easy recipe helps solve both problems. The resulting cake is very moist and really does not need any icing. It is perfect as it is.
Do seek out the very best ingredients you can. Make sure your cocoa powder is 100% cocoa with no added sugar. Unsalted butter and sponge flour seem to make all the difference. Grate the courgette /zucchini as fine as you can too. Having said that, the recipe will stand a bit of adapting.
I find this bakes quickly in a fan oven – in about 20 minutes at 175°C / 350°F. Do keep and eye on it!
The result? A very more-ish cake that you would never know contained vegetables unless you looked very hard! But first of all, I thought I’d share the way I line a round baking tin.
The easy way to cut a circular lining for your baking tin
Chocolate Zucchini / Courgette Brownie Recipe
Chocolate Zucchini / Courgette Brownie
- 3 large eggs (approx 60 gr each)
- 50 grams good quality cocoa unsweetened
- 100 grams plain flour superfine or sponge flour if possible
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 150 grams unsalted butter
- 5 grams baking powder 1 teaspoon heaped approx
- 350 grams courgette / zucchini finely grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C / 350F / Gas Mark 4
- Grease a square or round cake tin approx 20 cm. Line with greaseproof paper or baking parchment
- Either by hand or in a stand mixer, cream the sugar and butter together until very well mixed and light in texture
- Using a sieve or tea strainer, sift the cocoa into the sugar and butter mixture
- Mix well. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Add the grated courgette / zucchini. Mix lightly
- Pour into prepared tin and smooth top. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the mixture is set. To test, press the top, if it springs back it is done. Alternatively, use a skewer. Insert and remove the skewer, the mixture should be dry.
- Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes or so. Take out of tin and let it cool completely before removing lining paper.